Getting Rid of Liquid Mercury

Liquid mercury used to be something that almost all of us came into contact with – it was in the old style of glass thermometers. Mercury vapors are also contained in fluorescent lights to create the illumination upon reaction when electricity runs through the bulb. But recently, mercury is being phased out of use in house hold items due to its high toxicity level. If you have liquid mercury somewhere in your home, you may find it rather difficult to get rid of these days, as Direct Metals Recycling doesn’t accept it, nor do most other metal recycling centers.

The Effects of MercuryLiquid Mercury

If you come in contact with high levels of mercury you could develop mercury poisoning. Mercury causes toxic effects that hinder the brain, kidneys, and lungs. If you are poisoned, you could contract several diseases including acrodynia, Hunter-Russel syndrome, and Minamata disease.You could get exposed to mercury in a number of ways but the most common is through the consumption of fish. You can also be affected if you inhale the mercury vapor during improper disposal of fluorescent light bulbs or through skin contact if your glass thermometer brakes.

Disposing of Mercury

Because mercury has come to be known as such a volatile substance, it is relatively difficult to get rid of. If you have mercury in your home that you need to dispose of, your best option is to call your local EPA office. They will direct you of the proper way and place to dispose of your mercury to protect both you and your family.

Scrap metal recycling can be a dangerous venture. Make sure that if you are a first time scrapper, that you have done all of your research and take plenty of precautions to keep yourself safe and out of harms way while scrapping!