Within the scrap metal recycling community, this is one of the most commonly asked questions. “What is the difference between ferrous and non-ferrous metals?” Simply put, non-ferrous materials do not contain iron and ferrous metals do.
At Direct Metals Recycling in Atlanta, GA, we specialize in recycling non-ferrous metals. Before you bring in your next haul of scrap metal, keep these things in mind:
- Non-ferrous metals include aluminum, zinc, brass, copper, tin, and lead.
- Precious metals such as gold and platinum are included as well
- Non-ferrous metals are quite malleable and can easily be reshaped.. Think about art fairs and the wire-wrapping that you can sometimes see there with jewelry made of copper, gold, and silver.
- Non-ferrous metals are not magnetic. For this reason we recommend that a magnet is used for your scrapping needs.
- Non-ferrous metals resist rusting and corroding away. This is why many of these can be found in building materials such as aluminum siding and gutters.
- These metals are often light in weight which is another reason why they are chosen to be used in automobile components.
Knowing these characteristics is quite helpful when searching for scrap metal to cash in on. We’ve seen many builders and contractors that have found easy access to scrap from work sites. We’ve also met many automotive professionals that are able to easily scrap out old parts that need replacing. Regardless of how you go about finding your scrap, make sure you always keep safety and the law in mind.
We are happy to offer four metro Atlanta locations for your non-ferrous scrap metal recycling needs. Contact us for today’s pricing.